Week One: Re-Introductions

 

Week One: Re-Introductions

Hello! My name is Carson Maschmeier and I am a senior this year at the University Central Florida. I'm studying History with a minor in Anthropology and I will be continuing my time at UCF this fall in the Masters program under Public History. I dual enrolled in high school pushing me two years ahead in credits; After experiencing my first year in college I am now experiencing my last year of my bachelors! When I'm not studying or researching, I enjoy playing almost an instrument with strings and creating original compositions. 

Public History and Veterans Affairs

This semester I'll be continuing my time with the Veteran's History Project, diving deeper into more hands on work for interviews and scheduling. Last semester I served as the Lead Interviewer for the team and I'll be resuming my position there. Previously, I spent a semester working on the Olustee Project with Dr. Gannon as a head researcher for the 8th USCT and their regiment present at the Battle of Olustee when I was asked to join the team officially as an intern. With my interest in Civil War History, Public History plays a large role in the understanding the history and evolution of the American veteran. Their role in American society undoubtedly affects how we study American culture, politics, and systems. Apart from my research interests, this project is semi personal to me. I come from a heavy military family with a brother in the Air Force during the early 2000s and a grandfather in the Navy during Korea allotting me first hand sources and understanding of military affairs from a young age. I cannot think of a group of individuals who truly deserve more than veterans. 

What to expect

After my role in last semester's team, I truly cannot express how honored I am to be selected for a continuation and evolution of my position. With this work, I hope to grasp a deeper understanding of Veterans history in a broader sense, but also a deeper understanding of how to effectively use public history in a dissecting and critical manner to understand human relation. I hope readers will find my content not only educational and important, but also entertaining and enjoyable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 15: The End

Week 14: A Successful Interview!