Week Seven: Hurricane Ian

 Week Seven: Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian: Southwest Florida

Fort Myers Beach, before and after Hurricane Ian.
This week in the Veterans History Project things took an unexpected turn. Hurricane Ian made landfall to Florida on Wednesday to my hometown of Fort Myers, Florida. Expecting the outer circle of a category 3 hurricane, Southwest Florida was surprised when it was hit directly by a category 4 (almost 5) hurricane on Wednesday, November 28th. Notable locations such as the historic Fort Myers Beach and Downtown Fort Myers suffered from deadly flooding with multiple locations underwater and completely erased by the high tides and winds.

 


Following the aftermath of the unforeseen flooding and storm surge, local officials declared that this is the worst storm Southwest Florida had seen in a lifetime. After photos began to role into my messages, I decided I needed to head home to do what I could. Filling my truck with water, canned items, and gas, I drove home to what was left of Fort Myers, Florida. Photos do not begin to describe the damaged caused by this storm. I spent the week volunteering in driving goods to those who needed it and serving as a volunteer landscaper to those who could not clean the debris themselves. A key part was my role as a representative of the Veterans History Project; Multiple locations I visited were homes of veterans ranging from Vietnam to the Gulf Wars. My body is physically exhausted, but my heart is full from the relationships built with those who had lost everything.


My cleanup team, located a Vietnam veteran's home.

This week I learned an important lesson in the work of a oral historian: Often times preserving accounts of oral history means going above and beyond what takes place in an interview or closed discussion. The real truth and heart of our work in the Veterans History Project is not just recording and documenting the stories of veterans, but also preserving and protecting the lives that gave so much. Yes, we can give veterans a spotlight to have their story heard, but what good is a spotlight without the active preservation of their lives?

All photos credited to Carson Maschmeier. Personal photos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Re-Introductions

Week 15: The End

Week 8: Refocus